Brochure about the Graduate Certificate in Health Ethics
Courses offered by Center faculty:
- Health Ethics Theory (HMI 7564 - Phillips)
- Health Informatics Ethics (HMI 7566 - Phillips)
- Health Organizational Ethics (HMI 7567 - Rathert)
- Health Care Ethics (HMI 8565 - Brandt/Phillips)
- Problems in Medical Ethics (SOM 354 - Fleming)
- Nursing Ethics and Law (N 4200 - Breier)
- Clinical Ethics (CPD 4480 - Brandt/Strickland)
The Department of Health Management and Informatics in partnership with the MU Center for Health Ethics offers an online Certificate in Health Ethics that requires completion of four graduate courses:
- Health Ethics Theory - covers topics in metaethics and normative ethics with a focus on how they relate to situations and controversies in healthcare; includes the status of moral norms, utilitarianism, deontology, distributive justice, cultural relativism, methods of ethics case workup, and ethics consultations and committees.
- Healthcare Ethics - analysis and discussion of topics in clinical ethics such as abortion, euthanasia, stem cell research, healthcare resource allocation, and relationships between clinicians and patients.
- Health Organizational Ethics - consideration of the morality of issues arising in the management of healthcare organizations, including moral responsibilities of healthcare organizations, codes of ethics, marketing practices, conflicts of interest, and obligations to employees and patients.
- Health Informatics Ethics - discussion of moral problems and controversies arising in the use and management of health information; issues include privacy and confidentiality, controversial documentation practices, use of decision support, and computer system errors.
The Certificate program is ideal for working professionals such as physicians, nurses, healthcare administrators, those serving on hospital ethics committees or considering such health ethics issues in their daily employment, and students in the health professions. The Certificate program will help the learner develop an understanding of the ethical issues related to health and healthcare and will foster skill in analyzing and resolving ethical problems and conflicts in the healthcare environment.
For more information, contact:
Student Recruitment Specialist